May 21, 2014
South Sudan commitment welcome but more to be done
The Australian Council for International Development (ACFID) has welcomed the Foreign Minister’s announcement of additional funding to the humanitarian crisis in South Sudan, where renewed conflict has displaced 1.3 million South Sudanese in the last six months.
“We welcome the Foreign Minister’s announcement this morning pledging an additional $2.6 million to address food insecurity in South Sudan,” said ACFID Executive Director Marc Purcell.
“However the humanitarian crisis is rapidly deteriorating and significantly more funding is needed.”
“The UN has warned that 4 million people are facing alarming levels of food insecurity and a growing risk of starvation if not enough is done now to address the situation,” he added.
Earlier this month Australia’s leading humanitarian organisations published the report Humanitarian Action for Results, highlighting the increase in global crises as a result of both natural disasters and conflict.
“By the end of 2013, a record 33.3 million people were internally displaced as a direct result of conflict and violence, up 4.5 million from the previous record high in 2012. These trends indicate that failing to progress conflicts and fragile states towards sustainable peace and development will continue to cost the international community into the future,” stated Mr Purcell.
“ACFID members have worked closely with the Department of Foreign Affairs to express their concerns about the deteriorating conditions in South Sudan and the potential for the country to fall further into crisis,” said Mr Purcell.
“We welcome this latest announcement and we continue to encourage the Government to increase their contributions particularly to underfunded emergencies, based on needs and our capacity to assist, in recognition that global humanitarian response is a shared responsibility amongst donors,” concluded Mr Purcell.