For up-to-date information, including our latest appeals, news, and resources, please visit our current website.
|Children eagerly participate in the growing program in Kenya
This program continues to expand throughout East Africa, most notably in the troubled country of South Sudan.
The Association managing the program are receiving invitations to conduct ministry trainings throughout the region, with great success. The coordinator spoke of the dedication shown by their staff in these instances, travelling for up to 4 days in order to deliver the trainings, in public buses and on poor quality roads at that!
The quote below is from Kaye Corner, Catechesis Formation Leader and Advisor to the Kenyan CGS Association. She sums up the commitment to the work;
“The association is now quite sure that our Lord wants CGS to grow and raise up a new generation of people who love Jesus and are led by the Holy Spirit. There are now strong signs that God is wanting to consolidate the Association and ready it for sustained growth and is calling it forth into more countries across the sub-Sahara. The association is currently being led to open up in the Congo.
The Association has worked to fulfil the expectations of the current ABM Partnership agreement as well as developing in two other areas, Rwanda and South Sudan which have been funded largely from others.”
ABM is now supporting seven CGS training centres:
1) St. Crispins in Bungoma, Western Kenya – 6 formation leaders have been fully trained, and 12 more undergoing training currently. This parish has received a huge response from parents and children, with over 350 children now enrolled in the Sunday school program
2) St.Nicholas Children’s home in Nairobi – 2 formation leaders have been fully trained, and 8 others are currently undergoing training. This facility accommodates 200 registered children on a weekly basis
3) St. Stephens in Makueni, Eastern Kenya – 2 formation leaders are undergoing training, and provide ministry for 50 children weekly
4) Namatala in Eastern Uganda – staffed with 4 fully trained formation leaders and catering for 100 children
5) Bor in Diocese of Malek, South Sudan – this new training centre was launched in February 2016, and are currently training leaders to cater for 50 registered children
6) Bondo in the lake region of Kenya – this new training centre was launched in April 2016, and is currently training formation leaders for 50 registered children
7) Eldoret in the Kenyan Rift region – this new training centre was also launched in April 2016, and is training leaders for 30 registered children.
Ven Kistos Khisa, Managing Director of the Association, expressed special thanks to ABM for the support received;
“Once again we wish to say how grateful we are for the support ABM has provided to this project. We appreciate your very generous support and we do pray that our continued engagement and fellowship will increasingly grow the church of God. Lives are being touched and we believe the CGS [Catechesis of the Good Shepherd] approach is impacting positively both the adults and children spiritually.”